OUR VERDICT - The Monitor 50's performance isn’t short of energy. Echoing their siblings musicality as well as warmth, smoothness and scale, they are also more exciting than the Monitor Audio Bronze, if you favour warmth over detail, to listen to.
We start with the Kylie Minogue Abbey Road Sessions Album. The songs recorded on this album include her mainstream pop hits but they are presented in a more grown up, seductive fashion. Not only is this album beautifully recorded but it also has flitting tempos and stereo interplay which make for great tests of timing and rhythmic aptitude.
There’s never a dull moment as the instrumental parts switch between guitar strums and playful bass lines. while the vocals consist of seductive nuances.
The Monitor Audio Monitor 50 keep it all in check, clocking different dynamic signatures and tracking overlapping instruments in a spacious, orderly soundstage so that nothing feels like a mere footnote. It’s an interesting delivery, and the MA's demonstrate their adaptability as we jump between genres.
Even with something from Daft Punk – whose ambient sounds could easily be deemed uninteresting when heard through dynamically flat speakers – the Monitor Audio Monitors have the subtlety to pick out textures and discern dynamics without combing over intricacies.
With effortless concentration they ride the tracks undulating waves of techno beats, taut punchy and punctual through the Monitor 50 woofer. The Monitor Audio's ability to anchor the deepest, most foreboding notes allows them to communicate threat and peril effectively.
Monitor Audio have also thought about how the speakers will look in your chosen room, if you like the look of the distinctive drivers then leave them naked. The Monitor Audio Monitor 50 are available in White ( With white grilles ) Black or Walnut finishes meaning that whatever your chosen style of decor the MA's are sure to complement it. - Thoroughly Recommended.
The Monitor 50's modern square cabinets complement the 5 1/2" MMP II drivers and 25 mm black C-CAM tweeters. By placing the tweeters in the top corner of the speakers, Monitor Audio has been able to reduce the size of the cabinet and give a unique appearance.
The compact dimensions, driver technology and rear port allow the speakers to perform in the most confined locations. As the cabinet is rear ported, the output is well damped and is suitable for placement close to a wall. A single set of high quality gold plated binding posts provide the connections for a suitable amplifier. The Monitor 50s certainly sound bigger than they look.
- Classic Monitor Audio speaker design with a playful twist
- Orange translucent MMP II (Metal Matrix Polymer) driver cones – adds a stylish touch
- High overall impedance (8 ohms) – easy to drive with lower power amplifiers
- Black C-CAM (Ceramic-Coated Aluminium Magnesium) dome tweeter – derived from Monitor Audio’s award-winning Bronze series
- Creative use of 51/2" and 61/2" drivers have delivered a compact bookshelf, floorstand model together with larger bookshelf and floorstander to complement larger rooms and higher power applications
- HiVe II (High Velocity, Low Noise Reflex Port) technology – for an improved transient response and tighter bass, due to smoother airflow
- Black, white or a walnut finish, with contrasting grey baffle
- Outrigger feet on floorstanding models deliver a sleeker appearance, takes up less floor space and improves stability
|Frequency Response||55 - 30 kHz|
|Bass Driver||140mm MMP II|
|Treble Driver||25mm C-CAM|
|Sensitivity||87 dB ( 1W @ 1M )|
|Power Handling||70 Watts|
|Nominal Impedance||8 Ohm Compatible|
|Dimensions||206 x 206 x 237.8 MM
( H x W x D )
Write a review and let shoppers know what you think of this product.
Value For Money
"...the manner in which the Monitor 50 extends down from that exceptionally cohesive midrange into a controlled, detailed and consistently satisfying bass is very convincing." - HiFi Choice August 2018