Monitor Audio Gold 200 White Floorstanding Speakers
"This classy, versatile and highly capable floorstander offers a
great depth of engineering and an intrinsic rightness and consistency
that makes even complex productions so listenable”.
'Hi-Fi Choice Magazine'
September 2015. 5-star review.
Floorstanding Speakers - Monitor Audio Gold 200
OUR VERDICT - British Audio is famous all over the world and Monitor Audio are one of the big brands that audiophiles from all parts of the planet crave for. As you know, we test and assess all products before we agree to offer them to you and these Gold 200s passed with flying colours.
As Monitor Audio have now joined forces with Roksan it seemed only natural to pair them with the Blak amplifier and CD player from Roksan, the results are.....impeccable. The gold 200 manage to immerse you in the music with a beautifully wide and deep soundstage meaning that if you were to close your eyes you could pinpoint where the instrumentalists are sat on stage when listening to an orchestral piece.
Their ability to render even poor quality recordings into an enjoyable experience is simply sublime. Normally a ribbon tweeter can sound brittle but there is no evidence of that with the Monitor Audio Gold 200 as they never sound too bright. The integration between the bass mid and treble drivers is seamless lending vocals a beautiful fluidity without making them too prominent.
And then there's the bass, and lots of it. When we unboxed the 200 I must admit that we didn't expect much in the form of low end presence due to the relatively small cabinet, I can assure you now, I was wrong. Play something with a deep low end such as Marian Hill - Down, and you are treated to a tight, punchy and deep bass with lots of texture. Even when driven hard by the Roksan Blak the Gold 200 simply keep giving, to the point that the floor starts to vibrate.
All in all we cannot recommend the Monitor Audio Gold 200 highly enough. With the right amplification these speakers will deliver an experience that will entertain everyone whether you are a stickler for detail or a party animal. These traits mean that the 200 will be a fine asset to any Hi-Fi or Home Cinema system - Thoroughly Recommended.
Purer and more bewitching than ever, the latest Gold range refines the technology of its award-winning GX predecessor to set a new gold standard for Monitor Audio's celebrated high-end speaker line. Equipped with optimised drivers and empowered by the production quality of the world-beating Platinum flagship range, gilt-edged Gold turns another page in the story of Monitor Audio’s audiophile speaker family.
Developing the legacy of three award-winning generations, eight new dedicated stereo, centre channel, surround and subwoofer models share a trinity of enhancements including an evolution of the C-CAM Rigid Surface Technology (RST) bass cone employed by their Gold GR and Gold GS predecessors; tighter production tolerances for the advanced C-CAM ribbon tweeters, and a smarter more functional grille design. Energised by these upgrades the new Gold range offers greater transparency, consistency and visual sophistication to devotees of sound and style everywhere, leaving you simply to choose the system that’s right for your room.
The Gold series ribbon is derived from the globally acclaimed Platinum C-CAM ribbon transducer. Mechanically it’s identical to the GX ribbon but by improving production tolerances even further, Monitor Audio have discovered that the new model offers a consistently more open and transparent sound. In part, the sense of greater detail and enhanced imaging may be attributed to the closer matching of tweeter pairs in each stereo system. The ribbon’s fabulously efficient wideband design reproduces the authentic tonal character of frequencies beyond 60kHz, as well as the inherent nature of the mid-band vocal region to which the ear is most sensitive.Deep Clean Bass
Further tuned by FEA tools, the Gold series bass units utilise an evolved version of the dimpled RST cone surface introduced on the Gold GR and GS ranges. It takes the form of a continuous radiating dish devoid of the central voice- coil aperture. Instead, a longer voice coil and larger motor sit behind the cone in a more efficient drive assembly, which offers greater drive force, longer excursions and lower distortion, producing cleaner, more extended and accurate bass definition. Back-to-back listening tests have demonstrated that across all four stereo models, Gold sounds more open and dynamic, with a soundstage that is both taller and wider than its predecessor.Fine Tuned Crossover
Comprising high quality polypropylene.film capacitors, air core and laminated steel core inductors, individual driver crossovers are mounted on a dedicated panel accessible from the underside of each speaker. The adjacent speaker terminals are gold plated to maintain signal integrity and contact reliability. All Gold speakers are wired internally with Pure flow® Silver cable. Technology
- C-CAM (Ceramic-Coated Aluminium/Magnesium) ribbon transducer design – providing extension to a class leading 60 kHz
- HiVe II port technology for better transient response and tighter bass
- C-CAM RST (Rigid Surface Technology) drivers
- Single bolt through driver fixings for improved bracing, rigidity and driver/baffle de-coupling
- Die-cast alloy terminal panel arrangement with high quality bi-wire terminals and high end spade type link cables
- Pureflow silver internal cabling
- Selected premium quality wood veneer or high gloss lacquer finishes
- Rigid 20 mm MDF construction throughout, employing radial and cross-bracing techniques for high rigidity resulting in low cabinet colouration
- Invisible magnetic grille fixings provide a sleek visual effect.
Monitor Audio Gold 200 Specifications• System Format: 3-Way
• Frequency Response: 35 Hz - 60 kHz
• Sensitivity (1W @ 1M): 89 dB
• Nominal Impedance (ohms): 8
• Maximum S.P.L (dBA): 114.5
• Power Handling - R.M.S. (W): 150
• Recommended Amplifier Requirements (W): 100 - 150
• Bass Alignment: Bass reflex - HiVe®II port system
• Crossover Frequency: L.F - M.F: 400 Hz & M.F - H.F: 2.6 kHz
• Drive Unit Complement: 2 x 5.5" RST® bass driver & 1 x 4" RST mid-range driver & 1 x C-CAM® H.F ribbon transducer
• Cabinet Dimensions (HxWxD): 951 x 170 x 300 mm
• Complete Dimensions Inc Terminals, Plinths & Spikes (HxWxD): 995 x 274 x 370
• Weight (each): 22.2kg
BACK TO TOP
Write a review and let shoppers know what you think of this product.